our vision for Manchester city centre
CityCo will work in partnership to improve Manchester city centre over the next 5 – 10 years.
We aim to:
1. Build a family friendly and fully accessible city centre which is a very visible demonstration of safety and inclusiveness. We want Manchester to be a city for all.
2. Ensure the city centre is definably 'Manchester’ – i.e. different/unique. Manchester’s offer should not replicate those of other cities except the very best.
3. Celebrate our city and support those who seek to celebrate it.
4. Ensure the city centre is truly attractive to a wide spectrum of people, with a broadened appeal for people of all ages.
5. Develop a permanent visitor offer which energises the city throughout the year; encouraging workers to stay in the city centre for more than just alcohol, and providing safe, interesting activities all-year round.
6. Broaden the food and drink-based leisure offer, and to widen the appeal of the city centre in the evening to older people and families.
7. Improve signage for cars and pedestrians so there is a coherent system for getting people into and out of the city.
8. Implement a green strategy that not only meets sustainability targets, but marks out Manchester as a city with a different take on gardens and green space; encouraging green roofs, green walls, urban parks and brownfield meadows.
9. Develop high quality public realm, with good quality art and top-quality design standards that reflect a proper design language.
10. Provide good public loos (with disabled access and changing facilities) across the city.
11. Use and revitalise the waterways as the heart of the city centre.
12. Tackle the poor perceptions that still exist around Manchester.
13. Help ensure that the economic success of the city centre truly rolls out to the neighbouring areas of the city.
We look forward to working with partners and members to fulfil our vision for a better, world-class city centre.