Halloween in the City
- Date & Time
- City centre Manchester
Manchester’s Business Improvement District (BID) works with partners, retailers and cultural venues to celebrate Halloween.
The BID has so far delivered two consecutive celebrations and marketing campaigns for Halloween in the City in 2016 and 2017. The event is a family-friendly festival aimed at attracting visits and spend in the run-up to 31st October. And we showcase the range of events across the city through a partnership brand and PR campaign.
2018 celebrations will take place over the ‘Halloweekend’: 27th and 28th October.
2017 Event headlines
- Spooky street decorations, pumpkin lanterns and Manchester’s buildings lit-up green
- Giant inflatable tentacled monster courtesy of Bristol-based artist Filthy Luker
- Trick or Treat Trail
- Haunted Maze
- Face Painting
- Halloween Dog Parade
- Gothic Fashion Show as part of Manchester Metropolitan University’s Gothic Festival
- Day of the Dead-style travelling carnival
- Ghostbusters and Marshmallow Man at Manchester Arndale
- Ghoulish goings-on in the windows of Primark and House of Fraser
- Makeovers at Selfridges and Harvey Nichols
- Kids crafts at Paperchase, Cath Kidston, Virgin Money, Pizza Hut and Bravissimo
- Complimentary treatments at Kiehls, The Body Shop and Neal’s Yard
- Themed offers, events, displays, windows and products at Starbucks, The White Stuff, DKNY, Hotel Chocolat, M&S, Disney Store, Next, Office, Build-a-Bear, Phase Eight, Pizza Hut, Dune, The Perfume Shop, Accessorize, Bags etc, Greggs, HSBC, Supercuts, Jake Shoes, Links of London, Whittards, Wilko and Too Funky Hair
- +10% footfall increase across the BID district
- +12% footfall increase in Manchester Arndale
- Retailers reported up to +40% increase in sales over the weekend
- £1.3 million + AVE of press coverage across national and regional print, regional broadcast and online news articles
- £200,000 value multi-media advertising campaign across digital, press, print, radio, outdoor, social
Cllr Pat Karney, Manchester City Council’s city centre spokesperson says: “I can’t remember a Halloween weekend as amazing as this. Truly one of the best – and scariest – celebrations we’ve ever had. Well done to everyone involved – it was spook-tacular!”
2018 Halloween in the City – Retailers!
- Celebrate with themed window displays
- Host special events, product personalisation, gifts with purchase
- Run a competition
- Share your activities with your own customers via e-news to databases, social media, display marketing collateral, POS
- Share your plans with the BID and we’ll help to promote through the PR, marketing and social media campaigns