Princess Road and Medlock Street roundabout improvement scheme27th July — 26th October 2019
Manchester City Council Notice:
We want to carry out roadworks on Princess Road and Medlock Street roundabout – two key junctions – to help improve and reduce congestion along the Mancunian Way.
There’s currently a lot of congestion at these junctions, which causes long delays, especially at peak travel times.
When the work has been completed, the junction will:
- improve traffic flow by replacing the roundabout with two branching (spur) roads, allowing direct access to the city centre and Mancunian Way from Princess Road
- create a safe environment for cyclists and pedestrians
These improvements are in line with the Greater Manchester 2040 Transport Strategy.
Summary of plans
We aim to achieve this by:
- widening slip roads on and off the Mancunian Way
- replacing the roundabout with two branching (spur) roads, allowing traffic from Princess Parkway into the city centre
- creating a new road to provide direct access onto the Mancunian Way from Princess Road
- replacing the existing network of underpasses with new, safer access for cyclists and pedestrians
- landscaping, tree planting and providing a more pleasant environment for everyone.
We have now appointed a contractor who will be starting the necessary enabling works at the end of July.
These will consist of:
- site clearance and landscaping (this will include some minimal tree felling, but we will keep to our policy of 3 trees planted for every one removed. We will also be working with City Of Trees to look at further planting opportunities)
- site compound installation
- removal of street furniture
- trial holes
- installation of ‘Finger Post’ signage for pedestrians and cyclists
While these works take place, traffic management will be used to create ‘localised safety zones’ for the site workers. These areas will not affect travel at the roundabout.
The main traffic management will not start until after the Regent Road scheme is complete, to ensure minimal travel disruption across the two schemes.
We plan to start the main works late-September 2019, and we will share the plans and an animated visualisation of the scheme once the details have been finalised.
You can find out more about this scheme, view the plans and meet the contractor here:
- Tuesday 23 July, 4.30–7.30pm at Z-Arts (Rylands Room), 335 Stretford Rd, M15 5ZA
Sign up to the Manchester City Council newsletter to stay informed. Fill in the form and choose ‘Princess Road and Medlock Street roundabout (pmroundabout)’.