Princess Road and Mancunian Way Roundabout Improvement Scheme8th October 2019 — 31st October 2020
Manchester City Council are carrying out major improvement works on Princess Road and Medlock Street roundabout – two key junctions – to help improve and reduce congestion along the Mancunian Way.
Schedule of Works
Off-peak works are scheduled to begin on Tuesday 8 October.
Phase one: October and November 2019
While these works take place, traffic management will be used to create ‘localised safety zones’ for the site workers. These areas will not affect travel at the roundabout.
- Securing the site, including closing the subways
- Site clearance
- Drainage work
These works will take place from 9.30am to 3.30pm each day.
Phase Two: January 2020
Work will stop for the Christmas period and start again in January 2020 for around ten months.
Summary of Work
- Work will widen the slip roads on and off the Mancunian Way
- The roundabout will be replaced with two branching (spur) roads, allowing traffic from Princess Parkway into the city centre
- Creation of a new road to provide direct access onto the Mancunian Way from Princess Road
- Replacement of the existing network of underpasses with new, safer access for cyclists and pedestrians
- Landscaping, tree planting and providing a more pleasant environment for everyone