CityCo and Manchester BID have been a key part of the success of Bee in the City "From the outset, the team supported us and introduced us to key businesses which made such an impact. The work you do in delivering high-quality events and the BID's fantastic...
Urban Exploring/Urbex/’Roof Topping’ are forms of trespassing onto private land and – most generally – tall buildings, without the occupier’s permission.
Often the activity is filmed and promoted on social media. The risk-taking element is a part of the activity and intrinsic to the sub-culture.
City Partnership: Taking Action
CityCo and the Business Crime Reduction Partnership (BCRP) are working with Greater Manchester Police and Manchester City Council on this issue.
Manchester has a defined exclusion criteria in place to deter individuals found on rooftops.
- The exclusion definition is under ‘Reduction of Risk’/’Harm to self or others’
- The exclusion is for Adults (18 and over) and is for 2 years
- Offenders are being be managed through the joint partnership to reduce the risk of repeat incidents
- Offenders are required to commit to an ABC (Acceptable Behaviour Contract). Failure to may result in further sanctions being sought.
- Check the latest risk alerts and intel via the BCRP
- Make the BCRP ‘DISC’ app part of your security routine – DOWNLOAD and USE IT
- Monitor social media accounts and share intelligence.
Brief Teams on Signs and Patterns of Behaviour
- Propped doors
- Failed attempts to access
- Clothing e.g. business suits, high vis, dressed as delivery drivers, emergency services, hard hats
- Odd phone enquiries, asking for suite addresses, flat numbers
- Unusual behaviours.
- Have you left the keys in it?
- Was it secured as you left?
- Site uniform controlled?
- Foreman’s site briefings – report activity
- Out of hours checks.
- Any walls or fences around the top or sides of buildings need to comply with planning rules
- Permission is needed for the erection of a wall, fence or gate over 1m
- Permission is needed for he erection of a wall, fence or gate next to a highway used by vehicles or a footpath.
- All signage needs to be clear (stating on private land/building), legible and positioned in a location that can be seen and noticed.
- Install CCTV cameras or incorporate as part of the security patrol route around the roof top area
- Ensure entry, exits points and Fire Exits are secure.
If you are a CityCo or Manchester BID member and need to discuss an issue with our Operations Team, please email us or call 0161 838 3250.