Operational & Security Support CityCo and Manchester BID provide business networks with operational and security services to help bring the right people together to resolve neighbourhood and practical issues. We work on behalf of members and with...
A Business Improvement District is a specific geographical area where businesses agree to invest in extra services and initiatives that support city vibrancy and economic success. Funding is raised from a levy based on business rates. Activities are agreed in a set Business Plan, which is then voted-on in a legal ballot.
Manchester has been operating a BID for 10+ years. The company launched in 2013 and began a third, 5-year, term in April 2023. The BID is an independent, not-for-profit company and it is managed by CityCo, The City Centre Management Company.
The Manchester City Centre BID is a collective of 600+ retailers, hospitality operators and offices. The BID district spans Market Street, New Cathedral Street, Manchester Arndale, Exchange Square, St Ann’s Square, King Street and Deansgate.
Manchester City Centre BID is governed by a Board, and runs a Finance Board and BID Council. We deliver an AGM in Q1 each year.
Chair of the Board is Jane Sharrocks, General Manager of Selfridges Manchester. CityCo’s Chief Exec Vaughan Allen, and team, are responsible to the Board for the delivery of the Business Plan.
2023-28 Business Plan
Manchester City Centre BID is supporting businesses around 4 key themes:
- ATTRACTING VISITORS: Attracting shoppers, visitors, tourists, and workers into the city centre, whilst enhancing the city’s reputation as a thriving destination
- ENVIRONMENT: Improving the city centre as a welcoming, clean, attractive, resilient, and safe place
- COMMUNITY: Maintaining a tight-knit relationship between levy payers and keeping businesses in the loop with city authorities
- ESG: Supporting businesses to meet Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) commitments.
Business Support Services
Work is delivered to support these 4 themes via our Business Support Services:
Manchester Accommodation BID
In April 2023, the City Centre BID was now joined by the city’s first Accommodation BID (c.70 hotel operators). CityCo is one of the delivery partners of the ABID alongside Marketing Manchester. We work on Operational, BCRP and Public Events strands.
Learn more at manchesterabid.com
Through CityCo’s multiple networks more than 1500 companies are brought together across business sectors.
We also represent the needs of the private sector with agencies including Manchester City Council, Transport for Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester Police and Marketing Manchester. By working together, we are continually striving to make the city a better place to visit, to work and to live.
CityCo’s experience of how to operate in Manchester is key to the success of Manchester City Centre BID. Businesses benefit from connections and initiatives across all major networks:
- CityCo Manchester (cross-sector membership mix)
- Manchester Business Crime Reduction Partnership (BCRP)
- Manchester Pub and Club Network
- The Office Network
- Manchester Accommodation BID (hotel providers)
National and Regional BIDs
Manchester City Centre BID is a member of:
- The Institute of Place Management at MMU
- The BID Foundation
- Northern BIDs Group
- Association of Town Centre Management
Connect and Follow
For enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org